Monday, January 26, 2015

Tests in Marriage

Every marriage isn't without its issues. And Lord knows it isn't perfect, but every now and then something so ridiculous happens that tests the limits of your love and wedding vows. I feel like that happened to me this weekend...

Saturday evening I went out with some girlfriends for a "Mommies Night Out". Don't get me wrong, we love our children but every now and then you want some adult conversation about the latest happenings in the world (or celebrity gossip) and cocktails without a baby strapped to your chest and one wrapped around your leg. I'm just saying. Well, my two girlfriends and I got together to do just that.

It was the first time my husband was going to be left alone with the boys for more than 2 hours. I figured everything would be ok and I wouldn't call because I needed him to know that I trusted him. If something was wrong, surely he would call. Yea, that wasn't the case.

After having an awesome time with the girls, I walked in the door and found my husband on the couch sleep with the baby on his chest and my six year old on the love seat watching Batman. It looked like a normal scene until my 6 year old told me he had a headache. From there it went downhill:

  • I discovered my husband didn't feed the 6 year old any dinner because he was overwhelmed with the baby so the 6 year old had applesauce on his own 0_0
  • The baby's diaper hadn't been changed since I left home...7 hours prior!
  • The 6 year old started throwing up...and commenced to throwing up 3 times in 30 minutes
  • The baby was wailing because he was soaking wet with pee
  • And my husband looked overwhelmed and dazed
I had to explain, gently of course, that we needed to get the situation handled and get these kids together while he turned in circles. What is it about men and when things go haywire, they have no idea what to do? Anyway, I got both kids straightened and settled before sitting down. I was livid with him. I wanted to give him a piece of my mind and then I remembered something my mom said about picking and choosing my battles. Sigh. 

Honestly, the situation wasn't worth fighting about but doggoneit I wanted to. Instead, I walked away and did what I needed to do. I was still livid so I slept in the living room with the kids so I could stand vigil all night in case we had a stomach virus on our hands.

By morning both kids were just fine and I was slightly over the whole fiasco. It was during the night that I went back over our wedding vows and reminded myself that everything won't always be ok or handled the way I want it to be; it is during those times that I have put someone else before myself and do what I need to...even when I would rather fight :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment