Friday, October 3, 2014

Quality Time

I'm still fairly new to this marriage thing and listen, the learning never stops. I honestly learn something new about my husband each week, despite the fact that we have known each other for 7 years. Its crazy. Anyway, the focus of this post is not necessarily the new quirks I learn about him but more about quality time - specifically, how to get it in.

Being parents to a rambunctious 6 year old is not easy feat. Our son is our world and we absolutely love spending as much time as possible with him but...every now and then we want to do something with just the two of us. I love hearing about all the new Transformers and Power Ranger shows but I do enjoy cuddling and watching a romantic comedy occasionally with my better half.

With both our busy schedules and a child raise, plus another on the way, finding time together has become challenging but we manage to make it work. Primarily because I force it to work, but a girl has to do what a girl has to do. I recently implemented "Friday Family Movie Nights" as a way for the 3 of us to spend some time together. I confiscate all electronics, we put on pajamas and cuddle up on the couch for the movie of the night. Usually the little guy selects it and we suffer through yet another Disney movie but that's ok; this is family time. Sometimes we find ourselves at my parent's house having movie night with them too.

As for my husband and I, we find time alone wherever we can. Sometimes we lounge in bed a little longer than normal and just talk. Other times we spend a Saturday or Sunday afternoon catching up on our favorite tv shows. One thing we do make sure we do each day is eat dinner together as a family. Hubby and I tend to linger at the table longer and just talk about nothing in particular. It's times like those that I appreciate most. As annoying and messy as my husband can be, one of his greatest qualities that I love and attracted me to him is the fact that he is a great listener. He actually listens intently to every single thing you say. What man does that?!

My favorite time now are the foot and leg massages he gives me. My pregnancy has definitely made me slow down and my body is changing everyday. It helps to have a partner who understands that I may randomly go to bed at 8:30pm or that my feet hurt and will massage them for me without complaining.

With just over a year into this marriage thing, I never lose sight of the fact that it is work and that you must work to maintain it. With our family expanding (and planning to expand more next year), I know our relationship must always remain a priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment