Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Thoughts about a large family


via Google Images


When my husband and I were still friends, we both expressed our desires for a large family. When we had our son, we knew we would want to expand beyond one because who really wants just one kid in life? Lately though, I've been feeling some kind of way about the judgment people have when we tell them we want to have two more kids.

"If you knew better, you would get your tubes after this second one."

"Four?! Are you guys crazy?!"

"You're crazy to want more than two. Two is a great balance."

I've heard these statements not only from strangers but from family members as well. WE want more than one child. WE want to have as many kids as the good Lord will let us. So why all the judgment folks? Why all the pushing to get my tubes tied? I would think decisions about MY reproductive system are MY decision but seems I missed the memo on that.

It's a little frustrating to keep hearing this from people, especially from some people who have 3+ kids. Just because your situation is your situation doesn't mean it will be the same for me. I am married to a man who wants to have a whole basketball team of kids and says he's willing to live on farm if need be to raise them all.

I don't think it gets any better than that.

1 comment:

  1. Understand your frustration .. I get the same thing often when I say I don't want anymore at the moment. I have a son who is 9 and my husband has a son who is 10. So we have two. I get tired of hearing well yall need to have one together since yall are married. At time I just want to scream can we celebrate a year of marriage first before pushing your opinions on us??

    ReplyDelete