Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Marriage Lessons: Compromise

SOURCE
As an almost-one-year married newlywed, my marriage has taught me so much about my husband and myself. You would think that after 7 years of dating and one kid later that you knew someone, but you really don't. One of the most exciting yet scary things about marriage is that you are always learning each other.

I did not and still do not believe in shacking up. Call me old fashion, but I don't. I'm not saying it isn't for others, its just not something for me. My husband and I moved into together 2 months before our wedding and boy what an experience those first two months were LOL.

Not only merging households, but getting a first-hand glimpse into our individual quirky ways, had me wanting to strangle, quarter and maim him on any particular day. Yes, it was that bad...to me. Then again, I know I drove him crazy too.

But despite all of that, I learned and am continuing to learn the art of compromise. Unlike the picture above, it isn't always about being right and having the upperhand; it's about doing what's best for the unit and sometimes that means not having things your way. Yes, you will be wrong sometimes, yes you won't like it, but marriage is no longer about YOU. It is about US.

At almost a year, I am no compromise expert but I am certainly trying to improve on it every day. Compromising is uncomfortable, can have the apperance of being unfair but it is something essential to a marriage the same way respect is. Any in relationship a unit is only as strong as its parts; make sure your parts are balanced and fill in where other pieces are lacking.

1 comment:

  1. Great point! I've been doing a lot of reading about marriage and being the BEST me I can be when that time comes and you are definitely right... compromise is VERY important. And... it is HARD and it is humbling.

    Just stopping by to show support! Congrats on a year of marriage!

    ReplyDelete