Friday, July 25, 2014

Pregnancy and Body Image

Pregnancy is one of the most precious gifts God could ever give us. The ability to grow a life inside of you and feed it from your body is simply amazing and not something we should take for granted. It is truly a beautiful and miraculous thing. For 9 months you watch your body change and evolve in ways you never thought possible.

I love being pregnant but like many other women, I suffer from body image issues while pregnant also. Before you go screaming, "but a pregnant body is beautiful", hear me out. I'm not saying it's not but for the pregnant woman, we too struggle with accepting our changing body.

via Google Images

My husband, God bless him, absolutely loves my pregnant body. He loves talking to my belly, rubbing it in his sleep as we spoon and massaging whatever is aching me. He is amazing! But sometimes I wonder if this big bump, stretch marks and spreading hips is a turn off to him. He will tell me by no means is it but of course my mind says otherwise.

Then I walk into my closet to attempt to find something to wear and nothing fits. Even the stretchy stuff isn't stretchy enough, and quite frankly, I'm not quite comfortable with my bump yet to just put it out there. I think part of it is fear of strangers wanting to rub my belly. It freaks me out! And Hubby DOES NOT like that at all.

Last night, as we were getting ready for bed, I got a little teary and said "I feel like a big whale." Oh, did I forget the mention the extra emotional sensitivity that comes with pregnancy? Lord, I feel like I cry about thing now and I am so not the crying/emotional type. Back to body image.....

I can't control the shape my body takes while pregnant; that is beyond me. What I can control are the things I put into to ensure a healthy pregnancy and baby. While I try not to get too hung on body image, I'm also human and understand that this is part of the process. To all you mommies-to-be out there, don't feel bad if you don't like how your body looks some days. It's perfectly normal and ok. Just know that this too shall...

No comments:

Post a Comment